🇪🇸SPAINBasque Country


BASQUE COUNTRY IS  DO.- 3     VT.- 2     @Bilboa

  • BLANCO= Albillo, Hondarribi Zuri AKA=Petite Courbu, Folle Blanche AKA=Mune Mahatsa, Godello, Gros Manseng, Malvasia, Ondarrabi Zuri, Petit Manseng, Picapoll Verdejo
    • -International– Chardonnay, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc
  • TINTO= Hondarribi Belza, Ondarrabi Belza, Verdejo Negro

GEOGRAPHY Spain(North), REGION-Euskadi, LATITUDE: 45* ‘N’

  • BORDERS– Castilla y Leon “Region(South-West)
  • PROVINCES- Vizcaya(North-West), Gipuzkoa(North-East), Alava(South)
  • Sub-Zones/ DO.’s– Arabako Txakolina DO., Bizkaido Txakolina DO., Getariako Txakolina DO.
  • AKA= “Basque Country”, 75% of Which Lies In Spain, the Other 25% In France

TOPOGRAPHY “Flat/ Rolling”, SLOPES/ Montes Vascos, +Alt.20mt.-33mt.

  • On~Coast/ Cantabrian Sea/ Bay~Biscay~/ On~Urola/ Oria~Rivers~

SOILS Metamorphic“, “Sedimentary”, Clay-Loam Over Marl Bedrock

CLIMATE “Maritime,  Summers– Warm, Humid   |   Winters– Cold/ Wet

VITICULTURE~Basque ‘Flute’ Bottle~ SHAPE– Tall/ Flute Like, Slender/ Rounded

VINICULTURE White Wine Usually Produced With Slight Fizz/ Residual Co2.

CULTURE

  • BASQUE COUNTRYAKA=Pais Vasco(Spanish), Euskadi(Basque)…Explain
  • GASTRONOMY…Pintxos(Local Basque Version of Tapas)
    • Lamb Stew, Tolosa, White Tuna, Anchovies, Suckling Pig, Peas, Beans(Tolosa)
    • CHEESE…Idiazabal(Sheep/ Hard)
  • High Pour– Pouring Wine From a Arm’s Height Into a Flat Bottom Tumbler to Aerate the Wine and Release Its Aromas.

**Refer to “SPAIN “Home” For Detailed Information On Spain as a Country



**Basque Country, Courtesy of Delong Maps, Purchase These Maps at Delongwine.com


BIZKAIKO TXAKOLINA DO.     @Bilbao, Getxo

  • BLANCO= Hondarribi Zuri, Folle Blanche, Gros Manseng, Pitit Manseng
  • TINTO= Hondarribi Beltza
  • GEOGRAPHY– Spain, REGION-Euskadi/ “Basque Country“(North-Interior), PROVINCES-Vizcaya
  • TOPOGRAPHY– “Flat/ Rolling”,  SLOPES/ ?, +Alt.200mt.
    • On~Coast/ Bay~Biscay~/ On~Nervion~River~
  • VITICULTURE– 358 ha. Planted
    • Estate/ Producers– Berroja, Bidaia, Doniene Gorrondona, Gorka Izaguirre, Itsasmendi, Uriondo
    • Vineyards– Urizar
  • CULTUREAKA=Chacoli de Vizcaya

ARABAKO TXAKOLINA DO.     @AmurrioZalla

  • BLANCO= Hondarribi Zuri, Gros Manseng, Petit Courbu, Petit Manseng
  • TINTO= Hondarribi Beltza
  • GEOGRAPHY– Spain, REGION-Euskadi/ “Basque Country“(North-Central), PROVINCES-Vizcaya
  • TOPOGRPAHY– “Flat/ Rolling”, On~Coast/ Bay~Biscay~
  • VITICULTURE– 101 haPlanted
    • Estate/ Producers– Goianea, Senorio de Astobiza, Tentenublo, Valle del Agua
  • CULTUREAKA=Chacoli de Alava

GETARIAKO TXAKOLINA DO.     @GetariaZarautz

  • BLANCO= Hondarribi Zuri, Gros Manseng   |   TINTO= Hondarribi Belza
  • GEOGRAPHY– Spain, REGION-Euskadi/ “Basque Country“(East), PROVINCES-Vizcaya
  • TOPOGRAPHY– “Rolling/ Hilly”, SLOPES/ Montes Vascos, +Alt.?
    • On~Coast/ Bay~Biscay~/ On~Urola/ Oria~Rivers~
  • VITICULTURE– 400 haPlanted
    • Estate/ Producers– Adur, Ameztoi Rubentis, Erekalde, K5, Txomin Etxaniz, Zudugaria
  • CULTUREAKA=Chacoli de Guetaria

RIOJA ALAVESA     @Laguardia

  • GEOGRAPHY– Spain, REGION-Euskadi, “Basque Country”/ Rioja(North-Central)
  • TOPOGRAPHY– “Rolling/ Hilly”, On~Ebro~Rio~(North), +Alt.400mt.-600mt.
    • “Non-Contiguous”
  • SOILS= Chalk, Iron Rich Clay
  • CLIMATE= “Continental” With “Mediterranean” Influence
    • Cooler, Wetter Than Alta & Baja Rioja
  • VITICULTURE–  ?  haPlanted
  • VINICULTURE– +Quality *Small Growers
    • Estate/ Producer– Altanza(160ha.), Artuke, Baron de Ley(600ha.), Contino, Faustino(650ha.), Marques de Riscal(540ha.), Olabarri, Remelluri, Remirez de Ganuza, Telmo Rodriguez, Vinedos de Paganos, Torre de Ona, Ygay, Ysios
    • Vineyards– Corrales, Labastida
  • CULTURE
    • GEOGRAPHIC/ CULTURAL DISCLAIMER  Some Consider Rioja Alavesa Part of Basque County and Not Rioja.  In Regards to Its Wine Culture it Has More In Common With Rioja, With Altitude and Climate It’s More Similar to Basque Country.

Vino de la Tierra’s of  Basque Country

  • BLANCO= Any White Grapes Varieties Approved For Production In Basque Country.
  • TINTO= Any Red Grapes Varieties Approved For Production In Basque Country.
  • VITICULTURE– Wines Produced In “BASQUE COUNTRY” Non-Conforming to a DO.

COSTA De CANTABRIA VT.      @

  • BLANCO= Albillo, Chardonnay, Godello, Malvasia, Ondarrabi Zuri, Picapoll Verdejo
  • RED= Ondarrabi Belza, Verdejo Negro
  • GEOGRAPHY– Spain(North), Cantabria, PROVINCES-?,
    • On~Coast/ Bay of Bicay
    • MUNICIPALITIES: Barcena de Cicero, Esles, Valle de Villaverde, Vidular
  • TOPOGRAPHYSLOPES/ Cantabrian Mountains/ Picos de Europa Range
    • -Estate/ Producers- Nates, Vidular Ribera Ason

LIEBANA VT.     @

  • GEOGRAPHY– Spain(North), Cantabria,
    • On~Coast/ Bay of Bicay~
    • -Estate/ Producers- Goyo


**Refer to “BIBLIOGRAPHY/ SOURCES” For Details On Scholarly Works Referenced